21 August 2010

Boise, Minneapolis, Phoenix

Well the departure date is coming up soon and things have been hectic in the final weeks. I was lucky enough to get a couple trips in before my BIG trip to the Congo. I treated them as a warmup trips before my long flight overseas. I did the math. In the last week I have done 11hours 54mins of flying. My total time flying to the Congo will total 24hours 31mins!

My first trip was sports related. As you may or may not know about me I am actively involved in the sport of Ultimate. I have mostly been a player of the sport and in the last 7 months I have also started coaching youth. I was given the honor of being asked to help coach a youth team (under 19) from Boise, which was traveling to Blaine, MN to compete in the Youth Club Championships. This tournament is the national championships for youth club teams and the first year an Idaho team has been invited to play. Participating at the tournament was the best youth players in the country representing teams from Seattle, Denver, Boston, North Carolina, Nebraska, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburg, and Delaware Valley. Our team did very well and finished 3rd overall! The whole team had a ton of fun and really enjoyed the experience of playing on a national level.



My second trip was family related. My brother Mark, his wife Heidi, and son Elijah are currently living in Phoenix, AZ. It had been a year since I had seen them so I made a trip down to see them before I head off for a year myself. I was only able to spend 2 days with them but it was well worth the trip. It was especially fun hanging out with my nephew Eli, who is a bundle of entertainment.
Me and Heidi

Me, Eli, and Mark

Eli enjoying the water slide

Eli quickly learning how to work the water guns


Now I'm back in Idaho frantically trying to figure out what I need to pack for the next year. It is weird to think that in 4 days from now I will be unpacking everything in my new home in the Congo. Amongst all the packing and tearful good byes with friends and family it has been starting to set in that life is about to turn upside down. I hope I'm ready for the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment