29 August 2011

Weekly Wrap: August 22-28

  • I had a free day in Dubai so I went exploring the city. Among the things I saw were the world's tallest building, the world's largest mall, the only 7-star hotel in the world, an indoor artificial ski slope, and a ton of other buildings just as impressive. After living in Africa for the last year without much to see I thought this was an ironic first place to visit.
  • I rode the metro in dubai and took buses. I miss and love public transportation.
  • On my first bus ride I sat down and went a little ways before realizing I was in the women's section of the bus. I guess I forgot what country I was in.
  • I have spent most of the week in another country, who's name I won't mention in this blog. It is in the Middle East.
  • Upon arriving here I found it amusing to see people putting on their flak jackets and helmets in the airport parking lot.
  • I don't feel afraid being here at all, but in the back of my mind I keep wondering what car, person, or object is going to blow up as I go around the city.
  • So far I have not made any major cultural mistakes that would warrant someone to yell "Infidel!" at me.
  • I have some pretty cute nephews. One that counts "1, 2, 4, 11, 14" and pees his pants 3 times a day. The other mimics my animal growling sounds and only drinks water out of his sippie cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment